Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Value of Time

Each day, we live our lives thinking ahead of the current moment. "What will I make for dinner this week?" Sometimes we are thinking so far ahead we say things like, "I'll make the trip to visit Grandma in a few months." We constantly think we have more time than we actually do. It doesn't set in until someone passes away. Exactly 2 weeks and 3 days ago, I lost my grandmother, my mentor, and to me, my other parent. She lived a long full life of 95 years before she passed. Looking back, we spent more time together than some kids/grandkids get to spend with their parents/grandparents over the course of childhood, teenage years, and adulthood. For the time we had together, I am so grateful. It is just so hard to describe in words what a loss I feel now that she is gone. I keep thinking... "If I could just have one more conversation with her. I still have so many things I want to talk to her about and ask her." Thankfully my momma is still here and she is only 2 miles away so I can see her anytime. I have the best momma a child could ask for; and despite the severe pain from loosing my grandmother, I am so grateful to have my momma so close. Now that my grandmother is gone it really feels like I lost a parent in my life and sometimes it's so real it's hard to breathe...

We always think we have more time to do things or visit with someone; the truth is, tomorrow is never promised. Life can change in a less than a second. We truly must cherish all the time we are given each day. If we wake up to see a new day, we have been blessed to have the chance to see people, speak to everyone we possibly can, spend as much time with our children and family's.  Then when we lay our heads down to sleep at night, we can go to sleep knowing we cherished every moment we were given that day; knowing tomorrow may never come for yourself or for someone you deeply love. Living this fast life we lead nowadays, we spend more of our days counting down our time. How much longer before the work day is over, how much longer before this task is done, how long will it take to drive from point A to point B. It's simply amazing at how much time we waste each day and are completely unaware of it until someone is gone forever. "Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory." Dr. Seuss.

-Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment